YMCA New Zealand (YMCANZ) is the national office for the YMCA Associations of New Zealand (www.ymca.org.nz). YMCA New Zealand is affiliated to the World Alliance of YMCAs, a global faith based movement working for social justice for all youth, regardless of religion, race, gender or culture, reaching 58 million people in 119 countries worldwide. Founded in 1844, the World Alliance of YMCAs is the oldest and largest movement for youth in the world. There’s more to us than you think.
The YMCA New Zealand is committed to the core principles of the Governments Youth Development Strategy Aotearoa.
It is envisaged that a “National Officer for Young People” will develop the YMCA network of Associations capability to:
• Determine a national viewpoint on intergenerational leadership for the YMCANZ
• Ensure that it enacts the strategic focus of enabling young people in New Zealand to have a stronger voice and be heard more clearly through the activities of the YMCA network
• Create and deliver a strategic framework that will best implement the YMCA commitment to a Youth Development Strategy across New Zealand
• Deliver a nationwide roll out of the youth strategy
• Increase the agency of young people in New Zealand, through these activities.
The role is to engage with grass roots youth development and participation in order to determine what is needed to influence at a senior level of the organisation across New Zealand. This role reports directly to the National CEO/National General Secretary, but will liaise closely with our youth initiatives across New Zealand, through our YMCA Associations, partner agencies and stakeholders.
We encourage you to apply for this role if you have:
• A commitment, passion and empathy toward the principles of the Youth Development Strategy Aotearoa.
• Demonstrated people leadership skills: good communication with individuals, groups and people from diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to support, empower, and positively develop other people.
• Strong connections within the youth sector, with the proven ability to initiate and develop partnerships and networks.
• Leadership experience in a youth engagement/development organisation or role.
• An ability and passion to effectively lead strategic development, implementation and change management.
• Confidence to work respectfully and effectively within Māori cultural contexts including a familiarity and ability to move within settings involving tikanga Māori.
• Confidence to work respectfully and effectively within multicultural contexts, and include people of all abilities, gender identities and ages.
YMCANZ is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds.
This role has a national focus but the position will be based in Wellington. Please note that there is a an expectation of some domestic travel associated with this role, as well as the possibility of some limited international travel. Flexibility is required around hours of work to accommodate the nature of working with young people and the flexibility required of people who work in the NGO sector.
How to Apply
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Chris Knol, National Chief Executive Officer at YMCA NZ on email@example.com or call on 027 642 8115.
To receive the job description for this position please contact the National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm on 28 June 2019