• Newly created position; plenty of scope to stamp your mark
• Develop and implement nationwide H&S initiatives
• Based in Cuba Street, Wellington – home of café culture
The Salvation Army is a world-wide evangelical Christian church and human service provider that assists over 140,000 New Zealanders every year through a wide range of community services, such as food banks, family stores, early childhood centres, hostels, addiction treatment centres, employment training services, homecare services and a hospice.
Reporting to the HR Manager and working very closely with the Senior Health and Safety Advisor, the Health and Safety Advisor is responsible for ensuring the health and safety of The Salvation Army’s 3,000 employees and Officers, 1,600 volunteers and contractors, across over 150 locations nationwide.
include participating in the development and implementation of H&S strategies; developing and maintaining H&S systems, policies and injury prevention initiatives that minimise risk, and ensuring they are fit for purpose and comply with legislation; delivering H&S training; H&S reporting; managing the injury rehabilitation process and developing and distributing H&S communications and newsletters.
Your internal customers will be diverse, with varying H&S requirements; in addition to the services listed above, The Salvation Army has a farm, an outdoor adventure centre and operates a tree felling operation!
There are strong foundations in place, but as the H&S function develops, there is plenty of scope to add value using your H&S experience to ensure the organisation is operating in the safest, most efficient, effective and best practice manner.
This is a pivotal role to both the HR team and wider organisation, and will provide you with the opportunity to work with a wide variety of interesting, talented and highly committed professionals.
You will be someone who takes a pragmatic approach, and possess the ability to provide timely and quality advice across the organisation, offering good practical solutions to health and safety concerns.
• Have a proven track record in a similar position (minimum of two years)
• Have a comprehensive understanding of New Zealand legislation
• Hold an appropriate tertiary qualification relevant to H&S
• Have strong research and report writing skills, with the ability to produce H&S data graphs and spreadsheets
• Take a collaborative approach
• Have exceptional relationship management skills, and the ability to take the lead in investigations and chair local H&S meetings
• Be a team player
• Possess superior communication, problem solving and analytical capabilities coupled with sound judgement
• Have high level of initiative with effective planning, project co-ordination and organisational abilities
• Have empathy towards the mission and values of the Salvation Army
Applications close: 5.00pm Sunday 24 May 2020
Applications to: Kirsty McLaren via mclaren.co.nz
Position description: Available to view at mclaren.co.nz
P: 04 499 1069