Kickstart is a faith-based youth organisation, and we are looking for someone with the same values to join our staff team. You would be joining a progressive growing youth organisation impacting Upper Hutt young people through our youth centre, a range of youth programmes and engagement with our local colleges and intermediates.
This is for a new role
working with Māori and Pasifika young men for an initial 12 month contact.
The specific programmes under this role would be tailored to the successful applicant’s strengths and background, but would include:
• one-on-one mentoring of Māori and Pasifika young men,
• being one of a collaborative and cohesive team of four youth workers delivering a life skills programme to intermediate schools.
• delivering wellbeing and physical activity initiatives for young men.
These would be a mixture of in-school initiatives, and out-of-school, youth centre-based initiatives. You would be a part of an established staff team that is innovative, creative, compassionate, and respected for doing great youth work in the Upper Hutt Community.
Essential attributes for the role:
• Experience in working with Māori and/or Pasifika communities and families, with a particular focus on supporting and mentoring young men.
• In-depth experience of Māori or Pasifika culture, including good understanding of language, protocols, and social interactions with different age groups.
• 2 years or more training and experience in relating to and working with young people, and proven ability to work successfully as part of a collaborative team.
• The ability to understand and empathise with personal, family or social factors that impact on young people.
Desirable attributes for the role:
• Fluent speaker in Te Reo Māori, Samoan, Tongan or another Pasifika language.
• Experience in working in school settings including the ability to meet school timetables, time frames for delivery and role model expected values and behaviours.
• Proven accountability in delivering and reporting on funded programmes.
• Based in, or close to, the Upper Hutt Community.
Salary range for this position is $45 – $52k pa.
You can find our more about who we are at: www.kickstart.org.nz. You can also email or call Paul on firstname.lastname@example.org or 027 496 6350.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and a CV to email@example.com ensuring you include the following:
• Your experience in working with Māori and/or Pasifika communities.
• Details about your experience and understanding of Māori and/or Pasifika culture, including your knowledge and fluency in languages.
• How your values might align to Kickstart values, and some of examples of your behaviours that would represent these values.