We are seeking to recruit an adviser/senior adviser in the Plants and Pathways team within the Biosecurity Science & Risk Assessment Group based in Wellington. The main role of the team is to provide science advice and risk assessments for pest and diseases affecting plants, including forestry, horticultural and native species. The team also has a major role identifying new and emerging biosecurity risks, and communicating information about these risks to the teams undertaking risk management. The focus of the Plants and Pathways team is turning scientific information into high quality, practical advice to support biosecurity decision-making.
Principal responsibilities for the senior/adviser role include:
conducting risk assessment, including project scoping, planning and reporting, hazard identification, risk assessment (and may include assessing the efficacy of risk mitigation options against the assessed risk)
- contributing to the integration of risk assessment outcomes into import health standards developed by the Regulation and Assurance branch, and other organisational outputs across the biosecurity continuum (including policy, surveillance, readiness and response, pest management and supporting the Government-Industry Agreement work programme)
- Receiving alerts to the emerging risks system, ensuring decision records are initiated, disseminating issues to the relevant team manager and tracking progress of alerts through the system
- providing timely and high-quality science-based advice about biosecurity risks to different groups across the biosecurity system (both in MPI and externally)
- Improving methodologies used across the emerging risks system and the risk assessment process
- Supporting positive working relationships with other business/MPI staff, key stakeholders and other government agencies, contributors and users of the emerging risks system
- contributing to peer review of risk assessments and other MPI documents
- the maintenance and development of information resources/databases for the group, accessible to other users within and across branches
- Contributing to the development of other team members through coaching, mentoring and/ or peer review
We are seeking applications from suitably experienced people that are looking for new challenges.
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please click “APPLY NOW” in order to be directed to our website. For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, you may contact Nick Goddard for a confidential discussion at email@example.com
To apply for this role you must hold the right to work in New Zealand or be eligible to obtain it –clickhereto find out more about work visa eligibility and options.
Applications for this role close on Sunday 4 March 2018
Please click here to Apply Online